Sunday 22 July 2007

Where it all began...

This is my first blog entry – ever. Quite frankly I have no idea how and where to start. Someone once told me that a blog should be something like a diary, except that other people read it, but then I never wrote a diary, so that’s not going to be much help.

Maybe I should first say a few things about myself: Until recently I was a biology student at the largest university in Hungary. That was fun. I liked being a student. Full time. Apparently some people study because they think they need a degree. I did it, because I enjoyed studying, friends and everything else that goes along with uni (wild parties and lots of booze…, you get the picture). When I was in my third year I joined research at a local Institute of the Academy of Sciences, and have been working there ever since. As a matter of fact, I’ll be starting my phd project there in September.

I don’t really know what to expect. I love working with my supervisor, he’s a great guy, and awfully clever. The others from the lab are also fantastic if you need a crowd to go out with and have a beer at the local pub. But sometimes I feel as if I have fallen into this great big swamp. For example when I read an interesting paper there is no-one whom I could discuss it with. Or when I get some weird results at 11pm I will definitely find the lab deserted and no chance of getting advice for another twelve hours. And unless I am very persistent at asking the others about their project they never talk about it. Not because they intentionally want to keep it secret – they just aren’t terribly enthusiastic about their work. So somewhere, deep-down I am terribly afraid, that one day I will wake up and I will realize that this big swamp of disinterest and non-motivation has swallowed me as well. This is why I have started this blog. I hope to share some of the fascinating things that happen every day: in my life, in the lab and in research in general. And I’d love to have feed-back. Please leave comments, whoever you are…

No comments: